MumsnetAt Matalan we strive to support the whole family - from members of our staff to you, our lovely customers. We have aspire to become the UK’s most Family Friendly Retailer and through us making small but necessary changes, we aim to become the number one family retailer of choice.
In 2013 we were honoured to be the only retailer awarded with the prestigious Mumsnet Family Friendly Gold Award, only a year after receiving the Silver award in 2012. When we joined the programme in 2011, our goal was simple - to understand your family needs and work to support you, no matter how big or small.
At Matalan we offer a wide selection of ladies, men’s & kids clothing and cater for the home, both indoors and out. With children’s character bedding, clothing from tiny baby to teens, an online maternity range and a huge selection of fabulous things for your little one's nursery, we are on hand to nurture your home and provide all of the essentials you need for your growing family.
Five family friendly things you didn't know about Matalan
1. Not only do we offer a huge range of family fashion and homeware including children's character bedding and kitchenware, we also have an online maternity range and a huge selection of fabulous things for your little one's nursery too.
2. We now have a dedicated Family Panel that are continually monitoring all employee and customer feedback so that we can make Matalan even more family friendly for our customers and hard-working staff. The panel does everything from approving the age-appropriateness of our clothing to generating ideas to make our stores even more family friendly.
3.We are always listening to our customers, so when you told us that you hated seeing sweets at the checkout, we removed them from all of our stores. You told us that shopping with children can sometimes be hard so we've introduced a Click & Collect service. You can shop at home and collect in store for free, at your convenience!
4. We never compromise on quality. In fact we check our products at least 15 times to ensure your purchases are of the highest standard. We perform additional checks on our childrenswear to guarantee your family gets the best quality products and to give you that added peace of mind. The reason we can afford to offer great quality family products at low prices is because we buy direct from the manufacturer. Because our stores are located in low cost, convenient, out of town locations, we keep our overhead costs low and pass the benefit on to you.
5. For the past three years we have been working with Sir Steven Redgrave and the Youth Sports Trust to get more children and young people not only involved in sports but excited about it too! We have worked successfully with over 10,000 schools, providing primary school teachers with high quality training in PE and sports. We've also introduced secondary school children to less traditional sports like handball, rowing, lacrosse and street cheer, to name but a few. Our main aim is to improve the PE experience for young people, helping to show them the importance of a healthy lifestyle throughout their school life and beyond.
Five family friendly ambitions
1. Our family panel has been busy generating lots of fantastic family friendly ideas for our company. We plan to introduce some of those initiatives in to our stores over the next six months. That way we can really make a difference to your family's Matalan experience. We are really excited to be trialing a family fitting room. We'll also adding small extras like handing out stickers to children at the till.
2. From November, we will be piloting a new customer experience management programme with the aim of hearing directly from our customers on how they rate the experiences they have at Matalan, both in-store and online. The programme's aim is to measure how successful we are at keeping our customers happy and find out how we can continually improve on the customer experience. Customers will be able to send feedback via an online survey. In return they will be entered in a monthly prize draw to win £100 of Matalan vouchers.
3. Charity is key to our business and the NSPCC is our charity partner. Last year we raised over £1.4 million for our chosen charities by doing everything from bake sales to climbing mountains! As well as working with the NSPCC, we are committed to helping charities within our local community. This year we have pledged to help Alder Hey Children's Hospital raise the vital funds needed to build a brand new hospital. We are really excited to be working with them and have some very exciting plans, so watch this space.
4. Internally we want to continue to offer our staff endless advice and support during pregnancy and parenthood. We provide a flexible working environment where possible and childcare vouchers to help parents fit their job around family life. We have also just issued a new maternity booklet to help new mums understand their benefits. After an employee has given birth, she receives a card and a Matalan voucher to spend on the new baby. We strive to continually improve our staff support and communication to ensure that our workers are always happy and supported.
5. Finally, this year we hope to work even more closely with Mumsnet to really listen to the wants and needs of growing families.