My name's Gemma @Mutha.hood. I'm a mum to two incredible Red Heads and I run an online community and brand encouraging women and girls to see how much they belong to the Strong Girls Club. I love nothing more than chatting to people on Instagram and encouraging my girls to know their worth. I also like Pom-Poms, Red Velvet Cake and Alpacas.
Daily life is filled with distractions and the mundane, sometimes it's really good for the soul to make time to do something as a family that isn't centred around the ironing or prepping for the work/school week. We try really hard to plan something for them at least once a month and this weekend we visited Drusillas Park. It's local to us, so there's not too much travelling and it's both a zoo and an adventure park.
My eldest got to feed the lemurs, my youngest hugged Hello Kitty, Dom traveled by cheetah and I got to ride a dolphin. This weekend we had so many wonderful family moments, and it reminded me how much fun you can have if you just walk away from that laundry basket and say yes to the fun.
1. Friends of mine often talk about how they dedicate days to "love-bombing" their kids. They spend the whole day focused on them and what they want to do. For these days out we use our phone to take some pictures, but we tend to pop it on aeroplane mode so we're not distracted by the torrent of notifications that often enter our family space. These days out are for us, and our family, so we create and encourage a wonderful bubble.
2. Follow the kids lead. It's a day for them, so we try really hard to let them lead the way. They so often hear me say 'not just now,' or 'in a minute' that it's amazing to spend the whole day saying 'do you want to go again?' or 'YES! YES! YES!' rather than 'No.'
3. We tend to budget for these outings so that we can say yes to a bit of pick 'n' mix or a relatively reasonably priced toy at the end of the trip. We take a packed lunch, and plenty of snacks so that spending doesn't get too out of hand.
4. Wear all the layers; the weather can fluctuate so much that we're often throwing clothes on and off. Speaking of which a big bag is essential for this very reason.
5. Unleash your inner child. If you really let yourself, you too can be the 5 year old. Ride the teacups, let yourself laugh, you're a responsible parent most days so try being their absolute best playmate in the land for today.
Falmer Floral Embroidered Sweat
Jessie High Waisted Jeans
Leopard Print Heart Trainers
Morley Green Hooded Utility Jacket
Premium Straight Fit Jeans
Girls Pink Borg Biker Jacket (4-13yrs)
Brown Real Leather Chelsea Boots
Girls Green Long Sleeve Floral Dress (9mths-6yrs)
Girls 2 Pack Animal Socks (Younger 6 Older 5.5)
Girls Pink Pom Pom Boots (Younger 4-12)
Girls Bright Pink Furry Pom Aliceband
Kids Unicorn Cross Body Bag
Girls 2 Pack Cotton Tights (2-11yrs)